About Law Wheelers

Law Wheelers

The Law Wheelers are a friendly and welcoming cycling club serving the Lanarkshire area. The club promotes cycling at all levels from novice to experienced rider.

History of Law Wheelers
The Law Wheelers Cycling Club was formed in 1935 in the halcyon days of cycling by two men - Wull Thomson and Tom Wylie, who took office as president and secretary respectively. The first club-room was a stable in the centre of Law Village.
The first man in the club to enter a race was Rab Craig followed shortly after in the competitive stakes by Donald Houston. Just prior to the outbreak of World War II, Rab Craig won the Harvey Trophy, a prestigious silver cup that is still competed for in the club today. Rab was taken as a prisoner of war and not until he was safely home again and 'on his bike' did the club permit competition to resume for this trophy.
The next move for the club was to the offices of the defunct Mauldsley Mining Company, with around twenty members. However, during the war years, activities were somewhat curtailed as many of the active members were involved in the war effort.
After the war...
In 1944 the club regrouped and moved to a railway hut in the village, still retaining the same office bearers and eventually acquiring their own premises which were used into the late sixties. The move to the Wishaw area came thereafter with meetings being held in the Pather Hall and the Carrick Hall, Coltness. Allanton Community Centre was the next venue for the club meetings. 

With a growing membership we have members participating in a range of cycling disciplines including time trials, criteriums, audax, cyclocross, sportives and touring.

The weekly club run leaves from Newmains Cross every Sunday at 9am. The club also meets every second Monday at Netherton Community at 7.30pm.

Please meet up with us on a club run or at a meeting and find out what the club has to offer - a common interest in cycling is our bond.

The beginning...

In recent years Netherton Community Centre has been the location of the club meetings, and take place on a fortnightly basis. Details of the upcoming meeting, including date and location are available on the calendar.

Jackie White is the longest serving and only pre-war member still actively involved. Jackie raced from 1939 to 1985 and was club champion in 1944 and 1945. He can be seen regularly riding his Hamilton-built Worral racing bike around the district. Pinkie Williams joined the club in 1946 and was a prolific race winner throughout the 1950's and 60's. Pinky was club champion four years in succession and in his last competitive race broke the British age record for 30 miles - quite an achievement. Sadly Pinkie passed away at the end of 2001.

Allanton-born Bill Haggart joined in 1952 from Shotts Miners Cycling Club. Bill rode 25 mile time-trials in under one hour throughout his racing career and was Scottish Veteran Time Trial Champion four times and runner up twice. He was the Mid-Scotland Champion twice at senior level, beating riders forty years his junior at distances of 25,50 and 100 miles and still holds several club records. George Hatton of Waterloo was Scottish Junior Champion in 1953 and George is still seen packing in the miles. Over the years many young riders have been nurtured, some going on to race with other clubs throughout the country.

Girl power...

The first lady member was Anne Cossar. Janette Barclay of Carluke, as a Law Wheeler, was Ladies Scottish Best All Rounder Champion in the 1960's over distances of 10,25 and 50 mile time trials. The ladies of the club were however mainly involved in touring and hostelling.

Dougie Murphy joined the club in 1945 and was Scottish Best All Rounder Champion in 1948. He is the only Law Wheeler ever to win this award, which is achieved over the longer distances of 50 and 100 miles and 12 hour time trials.

Bringing the club to the present time, there around thirty active cycling members and many fringe and ex-members who enjoy being associated in many different ways in club activities. On the racing front the club promotes several races during the year, attracting riders from a very wide field. These races are held mainly in the Stirling area. Week end runs throughout the winter months are used both as social occasions and for training by most of the members.

The Law Wheelers promoted the last race in Scotland in 1999, this was a 12 mile time trial on the 27th of December and attracted a good field of riders, as well as a few celebrities like Santa and his helpers. Wellies and big false beards are not normal racing attire but Santa did well to finish in around 40 minutes!

70+ years and going strong...

The year 2005 was our 70th anniversary and we continue to attract many new members, some from as far a field as Glasgow, which is not normally our catchment area! This is a healthy sign for the club and hopefully the success of our new and old members alike will ensure that the Law Wheelers Cycling Club continues to prosper well into the 21st century.  

The Law Wheelers was one of the first Scottish cycling clubs to have a presence on the Internet. Thanks to our website and reputation we are currently enjoying a boom in membership, especially from outwith our traditional geographical catchment area.

No comments:

Post a Comment